Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More Meditation

I've decided that I'm going to try as many different meditation classes as I can, provided they are free or at least cheap. This past Tuesday I attended a talk called, "Find Inner Peace." The talk opened with 25 minutes of meditation, but it was pretty slack - we just sat in chairs with our eyes closed while the speaker spoke about relaxation.

The speaker was a very small, very quiet woman with a huge smile - I mean, she never stopped smiling. Who better to give a talk about inner peace? It was an interesting and insightful talk and I plan on going back for another talk in early September. I also may attend a couple of their meditation sessions.

Last night I headed back to Sunlun Meditation with Dr. Susan, this is the weird heavy breathing class. For the first class last week there were 8 people, when I showed up last night right before class was to begin, it was just me and Dr. Susan. I said, "I hope I'm not the only one tonight", to which she responded, "that's OK, we'll just meditate together." I said, "I was afraid you were going to say that." She laughed. Thankfully, over the next few minutes, my classmates started trickling in.

The meditaiton was longer than last week, a total of 1 hour. It's kinda tough to do anything for an hour, sitting and trying to focus only on your breathing is definitely one of those things. It probably didn't help that I didn't practice at all during the week. I hope to remedy that this coming week. The hardest part will no doubt be keeping Pants out of my lap while I'm sitting.

No comments: